Meet Annie! She swallowed what?!
This beautiful girl is Annie!
And this is Annie's story:
Louie had a little run in with a porcupine while hunting with his owner.
With some mild sedation Dr. Jones removed 22 quills from Louie's face and paw. Once he was quill free, he was good as new and ready to go home!
Any member of our staff will tell you that helping bring new babies into the world makes for a good day on the job. Here are some pictures from a caesarean section we did last fall on an American Bully named Manga.
Beware of Bones!
Bones can cause quite a predicament for pet owners. On one hand, they can provide entertainment and fun. But they can also crack or break teeth, damage the enamel on teeth, splinter and break causing mouth injury and/or GI irritation, become a choking hazard, and as Rylee found out the hard way - even get stuck around a dog's mouth.
Light Summer Snack
This beautiful girl is named Tizie. Tizie is a one-year-old domestic shorthair that came to us earlier this summer for vomiting and not eating.
Hmmm...Skeeter was a bit of a naughty man. Skeeter's owners called us when they noticed this piece of bikini string hanging out of his rectum. At the time he was not straining to go to the bathroom, but they were unable to remove the string with gentle pressure. We advised his owners to not pull on the string and watch for it to pass within 12-24 hours, with the caveat that if he stopped eating, seemed uncomfortable, or if the string didn't pass, that we would need to see Skeeter for an exam. Two days passed without success, so they brought Skeeter in to be examined. Dr. Jones took x-rays and did a complete exam. The x-rays showed the string through his colon and Skeeter was painful with any gentle traction on the string.
Watch your gum! Sugar-free gum often contains xylitol because it tastes like sugar, reduces the formation of plaque, inhibits cavities, and stimulates the production of saliva. But xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs. Even small amounts can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure, and even death. When dogs eat xylitol it is quickly absorbed in to their bloodstream resulting in a drastic release of insulin from the pancreas, which itself results in a rapid & drastic decrease in blood sugar within 10-60 minutes of ingestion. If you think your dog has ingested a xylitol containing product, it is important to act fast! Symptoms of xylitol toxicity usually develop 15-30 minutes post consumption and can include vomiting, weakness, ataxia, lethargy, tremors, seizures, and/or even coma.
Little Cuts Leave Big Impact
Any pet owner that has experienced a bleeding ear knows just how much a pain in the butt they can be. Such was the case with Murray, who gave his owners an eye opening insight into the world of ear injuries.
Merry the Cat Fish
This little cutie is named Merry. Merry came in to our hospital as an emergency exam. Can you guess why?
Get in touch
4268 Three Mile NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49534
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 8:30 am to 6:00 pm
Tuesday, Thursday: 8:30 am to 6:00 pm
Saturday: 8:30 am to 12:00 pm
After hour emergency consultations are available to clients of record until 10:00 pm. Our main line will direct to the doctor on call.