Watch your gum! Sugar-free gum often contains xylitol because it tastes like sugar, reduces the formation of plaque, inhibits cavities, and stimulates the production of saliva. But xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs. Even small amounts can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure, and even death. When dogs eat xylitol it is quickly absorbed in to their bloodstream resulting in a drastic release of insulin from the pancreas, which itself results in a rapid & drastic decrease in blood sugar within 10-60 minutes of ingestion. If you think your dog has ingested a xylitol containing product, it is important to act fast! Symptoms of xylitol toxicity usually develop 15-30 minutes post consumption and can include vomiting, weakness, ataxia, lethargy, tremors, seizures, and/or even coma.
Get in touch
4268 Three Mile NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49534
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 8:30 am to 6:00 pm
Tuesday, Thursday: 8:30 am to 6:00 pm
Saturday: 8:30 am to 12:00 pm
After hour emergency consultations are available to clients of record until 10:00 pm. Our main line will direct to the doctor on call.