Hmmm...Skeeter was a bit of a naughty man. Skeeter's owners called us when they noticed this piece of bikini string hanging out of his rectum. At the time he was not straining to go to the bathroom, but they were unable to remove the string with gentle pressure. We advised his owners to not pull on the string and watch for it to pass within 12-24 hours, with the caveat that if he stopped eating, seemed uncomfortable, or if the string didn't pass, that we would need to see Skeeter for an exam. Two days passed without success, so they brought Skeeter in to be examined. Dr. Jones took x-rays and did a complete exam. The x-rays showed the string through his colon and Skeeter was painful with any gentle traction on the string.
Watch your gum! Sugar-free gum often contains xylitol because it tastes like sugar, reduces the formation of plaque, inhibits cavities, and stimulates the production of saliva. But xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs. Even small amounts can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure, and even death. When dogs eat xylitol it is quickly absorbed in to their bloodstream resulting in a drastic release of insulin from the pancreas, which itself results in a rapid & drastic decrease in blood sugar within 10-60 minutes of ingestion. If you think your dog has ingested a xylitol containing product, it is important to act fast! Symptoms of xylitol toxicity usually develop 15-30 minutes post consumption and can include vomiting, weakness, ataxia, lethargy, tremors, seizures, and/or even coma.
It’s March—springtime is around the corner! Worms in your garden…and worms in your pet? Eeew! Hold on, let’s explain…
The worms you find in your garden mulch are not the same worms that cause heartworm disease in pets. Mosquitoes carry heartworms. And all it takes is one mosquito to bite your pet to become infected.
Any pet owner that has experienced a bleeding ear knows just how much a pain in the butt they can be. Such was the case with Murray, who gave his owners an eye opening insight into the world of ear injuries.
The West Michigan Pet Loss Support Group is a free resource that meets the second Tuesday of every month from 6:30-8pm. Losing a pet never gets easier. Just know you're not alone.
February is upon us and with it comes Dental Month! By the age of three-years-old, 70% of cats and 80% of dogs have dental disease. Professional cleaning removes tartar and bacteria, improving your pet's health inside and out. Pets that receive good dental care can live up to 20% longer!
Get in touch
4268 Three Mile NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49534
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 8:30 am to 6:00 pm
Tuesday, Thursday: 8:30 am to 8:00 pm
Saturday: 8:30 am to 12:00 pm
After hour emergency services are available to clients of record until 10:00 pm. Our main line will direct to the doctor on call.